Please help new member!

Introduce yourself and let us know a little bit about you.
Forum rules Please make sure you read and understand the forum rules (located in 'Announcement and News') before making any posts, thank you.

Please help new member!

Postby tom1bor » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:39 pm

Hello Everyone,

My father was Private Tom Trueman 3598621 of 1st Border who served from Jan 1938 to May 1946.

He died in 1972, aged 53, and I would like to learn as much as possible about his time as a soldier. There is much to learn because he died when I was young and did not talk much about his service, only briefly mentioning Palestine, Arnhem and the catastrophic Sicily landings. I would love to know whether he reached Sicily, or landed in the sea (he was a strong swimmer).

I have recently obtained a copy of his service record though the print is not very clear to read.
He is not mentioned at all in "When Dragons Flew" though I understand that the Arnhem Roll in Appendix 2 may not be exhaustive.

It would be brilliant if anyone had any first or second hand information about my father. Failing that, I'd really appreciate any suggestions on how I should go about trying to fill in the jigsaw puzzle with so few pieces on the board!

Thanks in anticipation.
tom1bor
Private
Private

Re: Please help new member!

Postby IanT » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:00 pm

Tom, if your dad was in Palestine pre-war with 1 Border you may like to check my photos in the gallery "1st Border Regiment in Palestine 1937-39" to see if you recognise him in any of them.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby tom1bor » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:13 am

Thanks Ian,
What an excellent collection of photos. Unfortunately, I couldn't recognise my dad in any of them.
The only picture I've seen which could be him is in "When dragons Flew" 2nd Ed p 220 titled "C Company, 1 Border, at Llanelli in 1941" (behind seated row, 6th from the right).
I'm planning to visit the Military Museum in Carlisle soon to research further. I understand they have lots of photos of unidentified soldiers.
It could be a long search!
Tom
tom1bor
Private
Private

Postby mrdeacon » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:51 pm

Welcome to the forum Tom.

You have done the right thing in trying to find about your dad by getting his service records they are the best thing you could have done. Now what you need to do know is to try and decipher the service records, could you maybe post the records onto the forum and maybe somebody can help you I have done a couple myself but I am no expert but I will have a go if you would like.

If you want to post the records you can put them in the WW2 section of the forum.

Regards Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Introduce yourself