Information boxes on the home page of new theme

This is where we will keep you informed of any changes to the site.

Information boxes on the home page of new theme

Postby kerchi » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:43 pm

Folks, there will be a new theme on the way (I currently testing it out) and on the home page of the forum there will be information boxes that can be utilised for a variety of different things. So far I have incorporated a 'welcome to the forum etc.' in four different languages box, a 'getting started' box, a 'did you know?' box and a box for a quote. Others can be added and it is this that I ask: what other useful / interesting information can these boxes provide?

These information boxes only appear on the home page of the forum (the page that shows all of the boards) and nowhere else so they do not interfere with the topics and posts.

To see what I mean check them out by going to 'Board Preferences' then going to 'My Board Style', select 'Metro Teal' and save the change, which is the one I am testing. Then go to the forum home page and see the boxes in situ.

If you have any suggestions, maybe more quotes or something else you think would be suited for these information boxes please post below ;-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: [email protected]
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: Information boxes on the home page of new theme

Postby plbramham » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:49 pm

Hmmm..
If you are trying to edit the areas, not really sure about introducing international language aspects, thus complication I guess? Surely very, very few Border Regiment researchers will be non-English speakers? That surely is a very low emphasis?
Cheers Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:13 pm

plbramham wrote:Hmmm..
If you are trying to edit the areas, not really sure about introducing international language aspects, thus complication I guess? Surely very, very few Border Regiment researchers will be non-English speakers? That surely is a very low emphasis?
Cheers Paul

The only international languages I had planned to use were for the welcome box only, but in retrospect I think simply removing these altogether and leaving only the English is the most sensible thing to do.

I would like to know the WW2 Regimental Theatre Honours if anyone can provide a full listing, thanks.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: [email protected]
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:40 pm

WW2 will surely be at very least - Dunkirk, Tobruk, Sicily, Normandy, Arnhem , Burma ( ah there Kohima?) and that's just "of the top of my head" - best maybe ask museum for list , not all "battle honours awarded I believe do appear on the standards - not enough space!
Cheers Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:14 pm

Those are Battle Honours you mention Paul, which I have already listed in the information box for Boer War, WW1 and WW2. To have better listing I need the regiment's Theatre Honours.

When the information boxes are more complete I can populate the other template colour schemes with the up-to-date code and then make one of them (most likely the teal colour) the default theme. This will probably be Monday 7th July.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:54 pm

I've often thought that the forum may be better if it co-operated more with the regimental museum?
I know they " nick" stuff - certainly some of mine, from the forum for their lectures etc, which I do not mind - surely we are all doing the same thing!
I'm sure they could provide a full list of battle honours in just seconds?
Regards Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:36 pm

plbramham wrote:I've often thought that the forum may be better if it co-operated more with the regimental museum?

This is something I would really enjoy if it were a possibility but I can't see it happening somehow....but it would be nice though working in partnership with a universal goal to work towards.

plbramham wrote:I know they " nick" stuff - certainly some of mine, from the forum for their lectures etc, which I do not mind - surely we are all doing the same thing!

This sounds a little sneaky but quite an honour at the same time; using your words in their lectures.....they obviously understand you know what you are talking about.

plbramham wrote:I'm sure they could provide a full list of battle honours in just seconds?

Yes, they probably would. When I remember, I'll send an email. Sometimes I just think my questions or requests are quite trifling especially as they always have a lot on their plate seeing to more important things.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:37 pm

plbramham wrote:I'm sure they could provide a full list of battle honours in just seconds?

kerchi wrote:Yes, they probably would. When I remember, I'll send an email. Sometimes I just think my questions or requests are quite trifling especially as they always have a lot on their plate seeing to more important things.

I sent them a message last week so I am hopeful I will hear something this week. If I don't hear anything in the next fortnight I'll send another message but I don't want them to think I am being a nuisance.

As it stands there are some gaps, which I hope will be filled. When this is done I can populate the other colours in the theme with the updated sidebar information.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to Announcements and News