A shakeup required?

This is where we will keep you informed of any changes to the site.

A shakeup required?

Postby kerchi » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:15 am

Please read: I have noticed that there are a few forums within certain boards on this site that have not been posted to for a very long time or hardly have any posts at all. I am wondering if this is because of a general lack of interest in those particular subjects, namely:

1. Inter-war Years
2. The Western Front (and Battlefield Accommodation sub-forum)
3. Ephemera
4. Miscellaneous
5. World War One Chat

....while others such as "World War One", "Newspaper Articles" and "Memorials and Cemeteries" are the most popular.

Trying to expand on the Regiment through other subjects in other forums (Inter-war, WW2, Battlefields etc.) has not been as effective as I had originally hoped and there still seems to be a WW1 focus.....much to Paul's chagrin to increase WW2 interest!

With an almost 100% drop in new registrations on a quarterly basis and the lack of interest in certain forums (those mentioned above), are there any suggestions you might have that can:

Improve the overall quality of the forum by...
1. Improving the look and layout of this site;
2. Sorting/categorising forums and sub-forums more effectively;
3. Keeping a members only section or just make available to everyone;
4. Add redundant posts and topics to the "Archives";
5. Anything else you can think of.

Even if this involves shaking things up a little by reducing the overall number of forums (i.e. combing smaller forums and grouping them under a different heading etc.) I would be interested to know.

As always, your suggestions are always helpful.

In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: [email protected]
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: A shakeup required?

Postby IanT » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:43 pm

I think item 2 in your list is good. I get the impression sometimes that there may be a certain amount of duplication across some forums or at least closely related topics in different forums. Some forums may usefully be merged perhaps. To be comprehensive inter war and post war years need to be included as there is material relating to those times and so available as a resource to anyone researching the regiment online. One question would be how recent to we take things? Should there be a cut-off in 1959 at the merge to KORBR or later with the creation of the Duke of Lancaster's Regt., or no limit?
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby plbramham » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:25 pm

I agree. You know I have always thought that while WW1 is massively popular , perhaps with the centenary, but the inter war (India, Palestine), and indeed post WW2 war periods have been somewhat neglected?

Let's remember that 2014 is also the 75th anniversary of WW2 outbreak , 70 years since Normandy. roughly 65 or so years since Korea, exactly 25 years since KORBR were in Northern Ireland for the 20th anniversary of "The Troubles" - I was there!

Maybe "lift" some stuff from the " on this day" from the Wiki" for post WW2 years?

We must remember that Border and KORBR men were not only in WW1 eh? ( I do not feel a "cut off in 1959 for KORBR" is correct)

Trying to inspire comments?

Cheers Paul

P.s Important - isn't there the Arnhem anniversary too this year!
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:54 pm

P.S Not sure why we need a "members only" section?
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:23 am

plbramham wrote:P.S Not sure why we need a "members only" section?

A valid question.

It was, originally, for members to talk about anything (within the forum rules of course) they wanted to that wasn't necessarily to do with the Border Regiment; a place they could post jokes, silly photos and generally let their hair down and just have a laugh if they so wished. But I didn't want that to be visible on the main board to visitors who might have thought "they talk a load of rubbish on this forum" etc. etc., putting people off from joining up and being part of the small community.....if that makes sense.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: [email protected]
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:47 am

plbramham wrote:Maybe "lift" some stuff from the "on this day" from the Wiki for post WW2 years?

I was thinking of something along those lines but not sure exactly how to implement the information as much of it (each being one brief sentence of a specific date) could be grouped into a Border Regiment "Years" sub-forum and just list everything from that year in a single post, that way the order stays true. The majority of the information in those inter and post WW2 years came from yourself Paul, of which I am most grateful.

plbramham wrote:We must remember that Border and KORBR men were not only in WW1 eh? ( I do not feel a "cut off in 1959 for KORBR" is correct).....
.......P.s. Important - isn't there the Arnhem anniversary too this year!

I still like the idea of having a "KORBR" forum and "Other Units" forum and I think, overall, they sit nicely together but I won't go beyond KORBR as it was primarily supposed to be Border Regiment, not 34th, 55th, W&CY or KORBR in the original days of setting up the forum. Sometimes expanding too much is the problem, which is why some forums on this site are a bit thin, so to speak.

And, yes, there is indeed an Arnhem 70th Anniversary this year.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:11 am

IanT wrote:I think item 2 in your list is good. I get the impression sometimes that there may be a certain amount of duplication across some forums or at least closely related topics in different forums. Some forums may usefully be merged perhaps. To be comprehensive inter war and post war years need to be included as there is material relating to those times and so available as a resource to anyone researching the regiment online. One question would be how recent to we take things? Should there be a cut-off in 1959 at the merge to KORBR or later with the creation of the Duke of Lancaster's Regt., or no limit?
Ian

Yes, there is some duplication, this as a result of the subject itself mostly covering two different forums of which it is unsure where to post it. I always like to have things categorised properly for ease of finding if nothing else but I sometimes struggle to decide where to post certain subjects.

The merging of some forums is definitely a potential. I would like to ask (anyone) which forums should be merged to provide a more comprehensive listing of topics. Getting other members ideas helps me so I don't make changes that are disrupted to other forum users.

As an idea I was thinking something along the lines of:
Create a "Battlefields" forum and merge "The Western Front" and "Theatres on Other Front" together along with "Home Front" etc., so all posts appear under the Battlefields. It doesn't have to be called Battlefields either, suggestions always welcome.

I believe keeping the "inter-war" and "post-WW2" forums is integral to the flow of the "Border Regiment Through the Years" board but I am unsure of how to improve them as my knowledge on these period is zero.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:18 am

Another train of thought is:

I also believe that one of the main reasons there is a WW1 focus on this site is because within that Forum there are individual battalion sub-forums, therefore giving it great importance over the other, lesser forums.

1. Should this be maintained?
2. Should other forums have a similar feature?
3. Or, should the WW1 battalion sub-forums links be removed from the board so they are not so prominent over the other forums? The will still be available inside the WW1 forum.

They could also be grouped by type: Regulars, Territorials, Service etc. instead.

Please do keep your suggestions coming as this really does help with the changes that need to be made ;-)

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:57 pm

kerchi wrote:
plbramham wrote:P.S Not sure why we need a "members only" section?

A valid question.

It was, originally, for members to talk about anything (within the forum rules of course) they wanted to that wasn't necessarily to do with the Border Regiment; a place they could post jokes, silly photos and generally let their hair down and just have a laugh if they so wished. But I didn't want that to be visible on the main board to visitors who might have thought "they talk a load of rubbish on this forum" etc. etc., putting people off from joining up and being part of the small community.....if that makes sense.

Hi, see your intention - good idea!, but really was not taken up!

Afraid most of my jokes would be Non - PC these days though, so better not post them!

I am most certainly not racist/sexist etc, but you have to be careful now eh?

Mild example - I am a Yorkshireman, and have no objection about jokes about us being "tight" - like Scots( I call it "careful with money") but I appreciate that, and do not mind jokes on those lines. Some people are far too "sensitive" eh?

I think the PC thing has got a bit silly eh?

Cheers Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:43 pm

1. Inter-war Years – You know I will always support you on this. More needed, The Border Regiment did not “shut down” between WW1 and WW2!
2. The Western Front (and Battlefield Accommodation sub-forum) - a bit “commercial “? Shouldn’t they advertise or at least contribute maybe?
Certainly think the next three could be incorporated to existing areas?
3. Ephemera
4. Miscellaneous
5. World War One Chat

Also I, like Ian I suspect, regret the lack of response to the early years, Boer War etc.

Cheers Paul
plbramham
General
General

Next

Return to Announcements and News