Border Regiment Timeline

This is where we will keep you informed of any changes to the site.

Border Regiment Timeline

Postby kerchi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi guys and girls,

That time has come again when I'd like to give myself even more work and create a timeline devoted to the years of the Border Regiment.

The idea is simple, to include a collection of events that have taken place through the Regiment's history between the years 1881-1959 in a timeline that aesthetically pleasing, informative and, for want of a better expression, also to show how gosh darn excellent the Border Regiment was.

I am asking for your help to provide Border Regiment events that you know about, have read about, events that have stuck in your mind or thought were really interesting......to be perfectly honest anything that will make for a good timeline.

Here is a couple (ok, well three) of web-based timeline examples using the software I would like to use:

1. http://www.number10.gov.uk/wp-content/timeline/index.php
2. http://www.tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry/2300/Group-Edit-Demo/#vars!date=2011-01-01_00:00:00!
3. http://www.tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry/43/Beautiful-web-based-timeline-software/#vars!date=2010-08-10_01:48:00!

The software is customisable so it doesn't just have to look like the examples shown. Also, I was like to ask your opinion on what background image for the timeline we could use that epitomises the Border Regiment.

I would very much like to get as many kind folk as yourselves involved in this project as nothing like this has been done (as far as I can tell) before. If you can help, please do so by posting as many Border Regiment events as you like in this thread. These will then be included in the timeline.

Thanks in advance ;-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: [email protected]
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: Border Regiment Timeline

Postby kerchi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:46 pm

I have quickly knocked together an example of what it could look like to give you an idea (bearing in mind this is empty and colour schemes, zoom level, categories, font, images etc. are customisable):

A Timeline of the Border Regiment (1881-1959)
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby mrdeacon » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:30 pm

I Like it Chris if only i could think of something to add to it.

Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby kerchi » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks Mike. It could be amazing but it needs info. I can take events from the wiki but I'd also like member input as well and there some pretty awesome (and incredibly knowledgeable) members on the forum.

We all have some sort of Border Regiment knowledge tucked away in the old grey matter even if it's something to do with your ancestor. It could also be something like: 6th Battalion were camped at [insert place] in billets before the big push. It doesn't have to be scholarly, I'd just like it to be community based; something we were a part of.

Are there any takers? :|
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: [email protected]
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby mrdeacon » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:45 pm

Will this be ok Chris

My granda Albert Deacon 3605427 joined the 8th Bn Border Regiment on the 17/10/1940.

Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby kerchi » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:51 pm

Mike, here's what it looks like: Albert Deacon

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby IanT » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:03 pm

Monday May 7th 1939 1st Battalion arrives in Southampton from Haifa, Palestine, on troopship Dilwara, ending 3 year tour of service.

Note: "When Dragons Flew" gives the ship's name on embarkation at Haifa as Dominion Monarch, but this appears to be incorrect. The Regimental Association Newsletter of June 1939 says H T Dilwara. Dominion Monarch was only completed in January 1939, quite a luxurious large passenger-cargo liner. She was eventually requisitioned for war service by the British government in 1940.

I'm not sure when the battalion was originally posted to Palestine. Dad's records shows he went in November 1937.

Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby mrdeacon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:14 pm

kerchi wrote:Mike, here's what it looks like: Albert Deacon

Cheers for that Chris looks good.

Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby kerchi » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:15 am

IanT wrote:Monday May 7th 1939 1st Battalion arrives in Southampton from Haifa, Palestine, on troopship Dilwara, ending 3 year tour of service.

Thanks Ian, just noticed your post. Here is the result on the test timeline: 1st Battalion arrives in Southampton

Any more.....?

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby TanjaAnderson » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:27 pm

Hallo Chris,

Well this is nice. I like this. You could add the day that the 70th (young soldiers)Border was started and when it was ended. Further my uncle 3606646 Gilbert Anderson has been with the 70th for a while.

If you need some information just let me know and I will look it up for you.

Greetings

Tanja
TanjaAnderson
Corporal
Corporal

Next

Return to Announcements and News