Long posts & multiple uploads

Long posts & multiple uploads

Postby plbramham » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:59 am

plbramham wrote:Having read from Kerchi about how he lost a long reply that he was writing because he had forgotten that the system logs you out after half an hour if no activity, here's a technique I've used when writing my "Hidden Gems" postings:
Write your text on a Word doc. This gives you time to edit, correct, research and add info, and save the document to complete at a later time.
When completed, go to the Forum's relevant section - New Post - add the title, then copy and paste the text from your Word doc into the box on the forum posting. As this happens instantly, you have plenty of time to add photos & attachments.
I'm sure some of you will have thought of this, but I'm just passing on a tip which I use on other applications/sites, Paul

I thought it was an appropriate time to repeat this tip from last February having forgotten to use the idea myself the other day, thus losing a posting by spending too long writing it before the site "timed out."! (I must give myself a rule to always write postings on a word doc then paste them into the posting box in future! A good idea if you find yourself starting off writing a short reply, but get carried away!)

Another thing I do when posting several photos is to submit them one at at time i.e. I paste the text into the posting box, upload one image,"add the file", submit it. Then "view submitted post" - "edit" - upload another image -"add the file" - "submit", and so on up to a maximum of seven images. This way if the system crashes, you have only lost the last image and the rest are safely still in there. ( I first started doing this after I once lost four images and had to go all the way back to the start!)

Remember that the first image you submit will be the last one that appears on the screen in the final posting, so if there is a reason for a particular sequence, post the last image first.

Also I also wait to put captions under the photos until all the pictures are safely uploaded and submitted.

Hence if you ever see a post of mine with something like " Images will be posted later owing to upload problems" it will mean I am halfway through submitting it and have given up for the time being, waiting until when the upload speed is more "user-friendly"!

Hope this tip helps prevent members wasting time by losing long posts, especially those with multiple attachments,

Regards Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Re: Long posts & multiple uploads

Postby kerchi » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:51 am

Thanks for the reminder Paul. I have found myself starting a 'quick reply' only to find myself writing an epic! Like you, I have remembered to copy and paste the text into the notepad, which works fine for me.

I did change (or rather disable) the post editing time so this wouldn't happen again. But I hadn't changed the time you have to submit your form. I have changed this to four hours. The system shouldn't time out so quickly now and as far as I can tell everything seems to be set correctly in admin, although I might have missed a setting or not fully understood a setting (as it can be quite complex).

I guess as a rule it is best to think ahead and write your (long) post in a desktop text editor first just in case you are logged out.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: Long posts & multiple uploads

Postby kerchi » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:02 pm

Paul,

Just as aside regarding the image uploads. You can actually order your images any way you like after you have uploaded them, even after you have already save a post. If you click on the button 'place inline' after uploading your image, this includes a small bit of code that looks like this in the text editor:

Code: Select all
[attachment=0]name of you image file here[/attachment]

You will notice it has the number 0 after the word 'attachment'. This number changes regarding how many images you have uploaded. You can click on the 'place incline' buttons for any of your uploaded images and put them in whatever order you wish so the code would look like this:

Just normal order sequence....

[attachment=1]name of you image file here[/attachment]
[attachment=2]name of you image file here[/attachment]
[attachment=3]name of you image file here[/attachment]

Or, ordered out of sequence.....

[attachment=2]name of you image file here[/attachment]
[attachment=1]name of you image file here[/attachment]
[attachment=3]name of you image file here[/attachment]

Try it out in the test drive area of the site first if you'd like to make yourself more comfortable doing it this way.

Hope this helps.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to Hints & Tips