Abbreviations?

Abbreviations?

Postby MalcolmD » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi,
Still new to all this and learning. Question, I'm struggling with some of the jargon used on the site, I know 'CWGC' what is 'SDGW' and 'KOSB'
Grateful for your help, Mal,
MalcolmD
Private
Private

Re: Abbreviations?

Postby kerchi » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:17 pm

Hi Mal,

SDGW = Soldiers Died in the Great War (details here)
KOSB = Kings Own Scottish Borderers
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: [email protected]
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:26 pm

Hi Mal,
When doing searches for "The Border Regiment", you'll probably also come across matches for "The South Wales Borderers" , famous as being the 24th Regiment of Foot at Rorkes Drift. Don't confuse these with the 34th (Cumberland Regiment) who amalgamated with the 55th (Westmoreland Regiment) in 1881 to form The Border Regiment.
I guess you know the KORBR? - "The King's Own Royal Border Regiment" which was founded in 1959 on amalgamation of The Border Regiment and The Kings Own Royal(Lancaster) Regiment.
So, to clarify:
1881 - 34th & 55th amalgamate to form The Border Regiment
1959 - Border Regiment & Kings Own Royal ( Lancaster) Regiment amalgamate to form KORBR.
Regards Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:24 am

Hi,
Quick afterthought, back to abbreviations. The South Wales Borderers ( formerly 24th Regiment of Foot - "Zulu" & Michael Caine etc) are sometimes abbreviated to "SWB" , not to be confused with the same abbreviation used for the Silver Wound Badge - the award given to wounded or sick British servicemen in WW1 ( a bit like the American Purple Heart),
The South Wales Borderers are nothing to do with The Border Regiment, just mentioned them as they often come up as matches on search engines, Paul
plbramham
General
General

Return to Hints & Tips